As part of the SSA21 celebrations we will be offering evening dining on Saturday 22 September at The Swan Hotel in the centre of Arundel. This rather fabulous hotel dates back to 1759 when it was built to accommodate those using the bustling Arundel Town Quay, Arundel having originally been registered as a port in 1071.
Although the exterior of this grand Georgian hostelry looks much the same as it did in the 18th Century the courtyard for the coaches and stabling at the back has since disappeared but, nevertheless, Kimpton’s Guide to Arundel of 1903 still referred to The Swan as ‘Providing good accommodation for travellers and cyclists’. The guide also praised its ‘Wines and spirits of superior quality’ and its catering for ‘Beanfeasts and other parties.’ For those not acquainted with the word a beanfeast was generally a festive occasion with a meal and an outing – how apt!
We have arranged for the Swan Hotel to be able to provide us with a three course meal for the paltry sum of just £25 per head, so if you are coming to the event anyway why not splash out, tick the additional meal option and come and join us. Alternatively, if you are accompanying someone to the event but not taking part, please just come and join us for the meal and tick that option.
Of note the hotel still provides excellent ales, wines and spirits, but we feel spirits will be high anyway!
- Roasted Autumn Gold pumpkin soup, sprout, endive, pomegranate & clementine
- Charred tenderstem broccoli, roasted garlic, pickled walnuts, buckwheat
- Roasted vegetable pâté, roasted chestnuts & oil, sourdough
- Spelt risotto, sweet potato, salsify, molasses & herb salad
- Gluten-free parsnip gnocchi, sprouts, pear & pistachio
- Charred aubergine, coconut Greek yoghurt, confit garlic, sumac, cumin, flatbread
- All served with roast potatoes and a selection of seasonal vegetables
- Roasted Cox apple, cinnamon & vanilla crumble
- Coconut panna cotta, poached pineapple & passion fruit
- Poached berries, verbena gel, hazelnut crumb
- Ham Hock terrine, Piccalilli & malted wheat toast
- Curried sweet potato soup, coriander crème fraiche (v)
- London Porter smoked salmon, dill & fennel salad
- Chicken breast, sautéed potatoes, Mrs Owton’s bacon, savoy cabbage, tarragon sauce
- Butternut squash tart tatin, Goat’s cheese & hazelnut salad (v)
- Roast Cod, braised lentils, spinach & salsa verde
- Lemon posset, homemade shortbread (v)
- Paul’s chocolate brownie (v)
- Apple & cinnamon crumble, vanilla custard (v)